2022 YEC is open for entries!
Enter now, pay later if you choose; 30 categories and two classes based on enrollment
The 2022 Yearbook Excellence Contest is open for entries. The cost for each entry is $7. Schools will be divided by size — Class A for 1,000 or more students in grades 9-12, and Class B for 999 or fewer students in grades 9-12.
For the fifth consecutive year, this is an all-digital contest. Entries (PDFs of pages and/or JPGs of photos) will be stored online, and you will share the URLs of those spreads, images or folders containing multiple files on the entry form.
Below is a complete list of the categories for the 2022 Contest. Entry deadline is Oct. 10, and here is a link to complete descriptions of those categories, and instructions for what to enter.
How to Enter
- Download this view-only Google spreadsheet. Make a copy of it that you may edit.
- Rename it “School_YEC2022.” For example, Shawnee Mission North may call it “SMN_YEC2022,” while Richland will simply call it “Richland_YEC2022.”
- Replace the text “School Name,” “Adviser Name” “School Address” and “Adviser Email” with the appropriate information. No entry is complete without all four pieces of information.
- Use the dropdown menu in cell B6 to choose your class, based on grades 9-12 enrollment.
- Use the dropdown menu in cell F6 to choose your payment method. If you intend to pay with a credit card, please do so at this link before June 24. (Beginning in August, we will have a new credit card system. Stay tuned for those details.) The cells in column E will calculate the total. We will invoice you after Aug. 15 unless you choose otherwise.
- Starting with Line 8, in Column A, type in the student or students’ name(s) for the entry.
- In Column B, use the dropdown menu to choose the category for each entry.
- In Column C, paste in the URL of the file or folder of the entry. Each entry requires its own URL. DO NOT SUBMIT a single URL with all of your school’s entries in a single folder
- In Column D, only if necessary, you may include a note for judges to consider when reviewing your entry.
- When you have entered all of the entries for your school, please share your entry sheet with [email protected]. The final deadline is Monday, Oct. 10, 2022.
- If you need to edit the sheet after your initial share, please let [email protected] know of any alterations or additions you’ve made on the sheet. However, the final deadline does not change.
- You may also call Quill and Scroll at 612-200-9295 for help.
Judges will award first, second and third places in each category for each class, and they’ll award honorable mentions so that between 10 and 15 percent of all entries are recognized in every category. All students named as award recipients will be eligible to apply for Quill and Scroll student scholarships in May of their senior year.
Quill and Scroll administrators will then tally points (5 for first place, 4 for second, 3 for third and 1 for HM) to determine a Blue and Gold Award winner for each class, as well as three places in each of the subheadings — Design, Writing and Photo. Last year’s winners were Shawnee Mission North High School in Overland Park, Kansas (Class A) and Christ Presbyterian Academy of Nashville, Tennessee (Class B).
Quill and Scroll hopes to announce winners by Dec. 1, 2022.
Category 1 – Theme Development ($7)
Category 2 – Cover Design ($7/entry)
Category 3 – Student Life Spread ($7/entry)
Category 4 – Academics Spread ($7/entry)
Category 5 – Clubs or Organizations Spread ($7/entry)
Category 6 – Sports Spread ($7/entry)
Category 7 – Performing Arts Spread ($7/entry)
Category 8 – People Spread ($7/entry)
Category 9 – Graphic Design Spread ($7/entry)
Category 10 – News/Current Events Spread ($7/entry)
Category 11 – Headline Writing and Design ($7/entry)
Category 12 – Caption Writing ($7/entry)
Category 13 – Personality Profiles ($7/entry)
Category 14 – Sports Feature Writing ($7/entry)
Category 15 – Academics Writing ($7/entry)
Category 16- Clubs or Organizations Writing ($7/entry)
Category 17 – Performing Arts Writing ($7/entry)
Category 18 – Student Life Writing ($7/entry)
Category 19 – Alternative Story Form ($7/entry)
Category 20 – News/Current Events Writing ($7/entry)
Category 21 – Sports Action Photo ($7/entry)
Category 22 – Sports Feature Photo ($7/entry)
Category 23 – Feature Photo ($7/entry)
Category 24 – Academic Photo ($7/entry)
Category 25 – Clubs or Organizations Photo ($7/entry)
Category 26 – Performing Arts Photo ($7/entry)
Category 27 – Student Life Photo ($7/entry)
Category 28 – News/Current Events Photo ($7/entry)
Category 29 – Portrait Photography ($7/entry)
Category 30 – Photo Illustration ($7/entry)