Membership is open to media staff members in a Q&S school
Welcome to the 2023-24 academic year
Quill and Scroll chapters have been established at more than 11,400 schools around the world. When a candidate is recommended for membership, the student or the school journalism program pays a one-time initiation fee of $25. The Society then provides the initiate with an official membership pin and a lifetime membership certificate.
Members of Quill and Scroll Honor Society must be chosen from students enrolled in the high school who, at the time of their recommendation, meet the following requirements:
- They must be of freshman, sophomore, junior or senior classification.
- They must have the equivalent of a B grade average, or be in the upper third of their class in general scholastic standing, either for the year of their election or for the cumulative total of all high school work.
- They must have done superior work in some phase of journalism or school media work. They may be staffers of a magazine, newspaper, yearbook, news organization, online site or radio/television station at the school, or one conducted by an external organization.
- They must be recommended by the supervisor or by the committee governing the media.
- They must be approved by the Quill and Scroll Associate Director.
Membership is open to all media staff members in a chartered or member high school or a chartered company that supervises student journalism. All Quill and Scroll membership materials may only be ordered by journalism advisers, teachers, school principals or administration in a company or news outlet that supervises student journalists.
Schools may order memberships and other items from our store using one of our online forms — one will process credit card payments while the other allows for either check or purchase order use. Schools may also opt to use the paper form if preferred. The traditional “paper” order form — which includes memberships, cords, and other paraphernalia — is accessible to the right by clicking the yellow button.
Once you’re ready for your induction ceremony, click the INDUCTION SCRIPTS button on the right and you’ll find three that can used as is or crafted to meet your chapter’s individual needs.
Schools with an established Quill and Scroll chapter can use the order form to:
- Recommend and initiate new members
- Order additional pins for previously initiated members
- Order graduation honor cords, patches and other member awards
- Order Quill and Scroll resources, publications and other chapter materials
The following awards are available for junior high and other non-member students:
- Publication awards
- Award of Honor certificates (Items C1 and C2)
- Testimonial Scrolls (Items C3 and C4)
- Journalism recognition graduation cords (NCD)