Students must fill out an application form and write a personal statement to include in a scholarship application packet. Directions for writing the personal statement and the letters of recommendation are attached to the application. To be included in the application packet:
Two letters of recommendation
- One from a journalism teacher/adviser
- And one from a principal or counselor.
- Each letter is to be sealed and signed across the seal by the recommender.
- See the types of topics to be addressed in the letters of recommendation on the information sheet, which is attached to the application.
A personal statement of not more than 500 words
- Written by the applicant addressing significant topics, including:
- journalistic experience
- future plans
- volunteer service
- how college will be financed
- Sign and attach the Personal Statement section of the form, which prints out with the application, attesting to the accuracy of information submitted.
Three examples of journalistic work
These should provide insight into the applicant’s abilities and promise.
A small color photo of the applicant
The applicant’s name should be written on the back.