What’s required in the online form?
Two letters of recommendation
- One from a journalism teacher/adviser.
- And one from a principal or counselor.
Recommenders should write a letter on official school or district letterhead, save it as a PDF and forward to the student to include in the online application form. IF YOUR SCHOOL OR DISTRICT DOESN’T ALLOW students to receive letters of recommendation, please send them to [email protected]. The letters should answer the following questions:
- Why does this student deserve to be awarded a Quill and Scroll Foundation Scholarship in Journalism?
- What are the student’s class rank, GPA, and ACT/SAT scores, if applicable?
- What other traits does this student possess that would convince the Q&S Scholarship Committee that this student will succeed as a college journalism student or journalist?
- What anecdote can you tell us to back up your assessment?
A personal statement of not more than 500 words
- The student applicant should address significant topics, including:
- journalistic experience
- future plans
- volunteer service
- how college will be financed
Three examples of journalistic work
These should provide insight into the applicant’s abilities and promise. Include links to stories, video, and/or photos published online. Include files of works published in professional and/or student publications.
A small color photo of the applicant
Please include a photo (preferably a head shot) of yourself. Make it a .jpg and not larger than 2 MB.