Oct. 27, 2022

Fall 2022 editions

Oct. 20, 2022  Alex Jones & defamation • Herschel walker & abortion
Oct. 13, 2022  Biden & marijuana • Nuclear rhetoric
Oct. 6, 2022  Hurricane Ian • National food conference
Sept 29, 2022  Voter registration • Fentanyl overdoses
Sept. 22, 2022  Rising food costs • Bad cheers • Tight school budgets
Sept. 15, 2022  College rankings • Monitoring your online traffic • The queen
Sept. 8, 2022  Staffing shortages • Constitution Day & Banned Books Week

THE LEDE  |  by Alex Steil

Truss resignation
highlights broader problems
for democracies

Country will have a third leader in eight weeks

Rishi Sunak became Britain’s new prime minister on Oct. 25, replacing the short but turbulent term of fellow Conservative Liz Truss.

She became  the shortest serving leader in the nation’s history. Truss resigned after a widely recognized failed economic program that sent the price of the British pound tumbling in global markets.

But political crises are not limited to Britain. The United States was rated as a “backsliding democracy in a 2021 report. Trust in institutions hit an all time low this summer, with democracies struggling around the world.

What you can do —

Students often have a keen sense of politics and events in the world, even though they can’t vote. Especially leading up to this midterm cycle, what are students doing in your community to make their voices heard. Are they holding rallies, voter registration drives, or protesting?

What about turning even more inward and asking what your civics classes are teaching? Perhaps you could create a staff editorial that discusses whether or not this is an adequate level of rigor.

On a different note, you and your publication could examine truth in the media by looking at your own policies. For example, when you look at your policies, what rules do you have in place regarding your policies if you include false statements from politicians?

Alternatively, you could create a lesson that examines the ethical implications of balancing “both sides” journalism with false statements — and how to cover that as a reporter. There is no definitive answer, but giving students the tools to use it in their journalistic careers will be invaluable.

Noteworthy

Washington didn’t expect
weekly jobless claims to fall

Department of Labor’s forecast had
nearly 20,000 more projected claims

The federal government’s tracking of unemployment claims was projected to be much higher than its reported 214,000, signaling the country may be putting the pandemic economy in its rear-view mirror.

However, Washington is not prepared for what could be a looming recession as inflation continues. The Federal Reserve is aggressively pursuing what it can to reduce the effects of inflation, yet forecasters are still 100 percent sure there will be a recession within the year.

What you can do —

Inflation affects different geographies differently: California’s price per gallon is nearly $6 while Texas is almost half that.

Creating context helps your readers understand the global market forces in understandable language. You and your publication could cover the thoughts of your community and how they’ve responded to rising costs.

As a chapter, your role could be outsized. Given that forecasts are expecting upcoming hardship, you could start organizing a food drive for later this or early next year. If the projected recession is not as bad as anticipated, you’ll still be doing good by providing food for those in need anyways.

What’s viral

Taylor Swift releases new album

This is Swift’s second album this year

The country-turned-pop-star released her 10th album, “Midnights,” on Friday. It’s her fifth in just two years.

Last year’s album, “Taylor’s Version,” was a revision of many of her songs under her own label. The new album has had a minor spat between listeners, who expected Lana Del Ray to sing more than Swift’s backing vocals.

What you can do —

Because of how popular Swift is, and just how many spheres of influence she has penetrated, there is an abundance of topics to cover. What is the ranking of your staff (or your readers?) of her most recent albums? What about best collaborations with other artists?

Or, perhaps, best controversies with other celebrities — remember Swift’s “All Too Well” speculation about Jake Gyllenhaal?

There is a slew of good material to engage a wide array of students.

IT’S AN HONOR

It’s still membership season

Don’t forget you can nominate members any time of year

It’s the last push before seniors list their activities on the Nov. 1 college application deadline. So, it’s a great time to submit members for Quill and Scroll! By submitting members now, students can be active members in their chapters for the remainder of the year. By having students join now, you can also avoid the spring rush.

> Start the process here.

Start preparing for our next awards

Entries due Feb. 16

Yes, we just finished getting in our Yearbook Excellence Contest entries, and it’s time to start the process for our Writing, Photo and Multimedia Awards. This contest will be available starting late November, and all entries and payments will be due Feb. 6.

So, start thinking about what you want to enter. We will publish the categories on our website within the next few weeks.

Just a thought

I often need reminders. My coworkers and former students have noted my obsession for Post-it Notes, and I rival Laura in the office for the messy desk award — and I may even win that one.

However, I always have my trusty listing of upcoming due dates posted next to my computer and of course, written in my paper calendar. (Yes, I tried to go paperless, but I was a miserable failure at it.)

Whether you have the online only or the paper calendar, now is the time to mark upcoming deadlines for Quill and Scroll. We’ve updated our calendar to include due dates for the rest of the year.

So, pop on, write or type them in and be prepared for all Quill and Scroll has to offer. Our next deadline is Feb. 6 for the Writing, Photo and Multimedia contest, which will open late November. Entries and payment are due Feb. 6.

Now, access the calendar and go use whatever platform works best for you. Undecided? Put them on a Post-it Note (mine are green, orange and pink currently) and put it somewhere you will see it often.

— Lori Keekley