Weekly Scroll for Friday, November 3

,

Compiled and written by Marni Wax

The Lede:

Once is all it takes.

Last June, Anthony Rapp settled in at the home of his good friend and fellow actor Camryn Manheim to watch the Tony Awards. Rapp, a working actor since he was 9 years old, felt something he’d never experienced before with the Tonys: dread. And that’s because the host that night was Kevin Spacey. Click to find out why.

#MeToo

There have been a number of sexual harassment and assault have made headlines recently, showing that there needs to be a discussion about the tragedies. And the problem is far from new. Of the astounding 90,000 allegations of discrimination filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in the past years, nearly one-third were filed harassment complaints. Many of the victims have experienced “intersectional harassment,” which can encompass both race and gender regarding their sexual harassment.

We all just wanted a piece of the gossip.

The independent investigation of the Trump-Russia collusion just made its most serious move since it began. Three former campaign officials have been charged with crimes and the special counsel announced that Trump’s foreign policy adviser, and George Papadopoulos admitted to giving false statements to the FBI about his ties to a Russian-connected professor who promised “dirt” on Hillary Clinton.

It’s an honor:

What’s it like to be a part of something bigger than yourself?

Go to our Facebook page to learn how to share your testimony about what it means to be a member of Quill and Scroll. Or you can go to the Quill and Scroll website to give a more detailed story about your connection to Q&S.

Attention: DID THIS COME OUT AND DO THEY HAVE IT?

PDF of fall 2017 issue of Q&S magazine up on issu to be sent to members via mail in mid-October

CALLING ALL ADVISORS!

Does anyone have any footage of their induction ceremonies! We would love to feature your students in a video! Contact us at [email protected] for more information.

Go, Jackie, Go!

Quill and Scroll’s Marni Wax caught up with Jackie Majerus, the founder of Youth Journalism International, at the 2017 Iowa High School Press Association’s Fall Conference in Iowa City. Jackie talks to Marni about issues facing high school journalists today. Here’s the full 15-minute podcast of that interview.

From Frank LoMonte!

Check out this story on the Quill and Scroll website about help student journalists can get in their quest for public information!

What’s Viral:

Started from the bottom, now he’s here.

“I got a job at The Source magazine fresh out of college. I started out as an intern and was playing basketball for my college at the same time. On a daily basis, I would go from class to basketball practice to The Source, and I wasn’t getting paid.” Click here to discover the rest of Kazeem Famuyide’s story.

Have we made any progress?

A driver plowed a pickup truck down a crowded bike path along the Hudson River in Manhattan on Tuesday, leaving eight dead and injuring 11. Officials are calling it the deadliest terrorist attack on New York City since Sept. 11, 2001. Click that link and read the scoop.

But how do we address it? 

Check out a variety of experts expressing their opinions about how news media should and should not cover horrible events such as terrorist attacks.

Just a Thought:

Making me hungry.

Should be simple enough. I mean, how hard can it be to get the internet to agree on something? According to Emojipedia, the hamburger was approved as part of Unicode 6.0 in 2010 and added to Emoji 1.0 in 2015. Since then it’s been up to each media company to decide how it wants to render it. Check out what they are all up to.

The Stranger the thing, the better.

For those of you who didn’t just binge watch “Stranger Things 2,” WARNING: There are spoilers ahead. However… here’s a guide to some of the cultural signifiers, coded references and blatant steals in this year’s nine episodes.

See guys?! Our childhood legacy lives on.

Japanese video games maker Nintendo Co Ltd, already expecting its highest earnings in seven years, almost doubled its full-year operating profit forecast on Monday. Sales have exceeded the company’s initial estimate, outstripping those of predecessor Wii U, and leaving suppliers scrambling for parts. Learn about the new product by Nintendo that is kicking butt in the industry.

0 replies