Q&A: Advisers, why do you do what you do? By Mark Newton, JEA President

, ,

In his Fall 2012 JEA Column of Quill & Scroll magazine, Mark Newton shared his joys as a journalism adviser. He also shared those of other journalism teachers:

I love watching students carry real, honest and important conversations onto the page.” — Adam Dawkins, Regis Jesuit High School, Aurora, Colo.

Answers the current buzz ‘authentic learning’ with a slam dunk. Doesn’t get anymore authentic than a real product. Plus, journalism kids rock.” —Mitch Eden, Kirkwood High School, Kirkwood, Mo.

One of my students said, ‘Ms. Lawrenz, you teach your hobbies all day long.’ That is why I do it. I love my content and craft. I want others to as well.” —Heather Lawrenz, Blue Valley Southwest High School, Overland Park, Kan.

Personally, I have a passion for journalism and playing an important role in a free society. I get to share that passion with kids.” —Brad Lewis, Harrisonville High School, Harrisonville, Mo.

I love that there is always something happening. Love that it’s always changing. Love that it teaches skills beyond the book.” —Aaron Manfull, Frances Howell North High School, St. Charles, Mo.

I love how it is so easy to bring the world outside of the school walls into the classroom. Students learn applicable skills too!” —Beth Ramach Phillips, Frances Howell North High School, St. Charles, Mo.

I get to teach the subject that I’m most passionate about. And my students’ ‘homework’ can make a change.” —Matt Rasgorshek, Westside High School, Omaha, Neb.

No other class, activity or club offers students the opportunity to practice real-world skills and produce a valuable product.” —Tracy Anne Sena, Convent of the Sacred Heart High School, San Francisco.

Journalism teaches students to be people who seek out knowledge and truth and it has the ability to change the world.” —Matthew Schott, Frances Howell Central High School, St. Charles, Mo.

Journalism satisfies my own constant curiosity, and I love watching kids become more aware/connected to the world in the years I have them.” —Michael Snead, Colonial Forge High School, Stafford, Va.

I love working with motivated kids who actually feel a sense of responsibility and purpose.” —Jim Streisel, Carmel High School, Carmel, Ind.

I love to see students drive their own learning and fuel others to augment their perspectives. It enhances my hope in the future.” —Karen Wagner, Eaglecrest High School, Aurora, Colo.

Nothing quite like watching the pride and passion of students as they see their work come to life. Also, every day’s a new adventure.” —Nicole Wilson, Carmel High School, Carmel, Ind.