May 18, 2023

Our past three editions

May 11, 2023 School theatre • Child labor • King Charles III

May 4, 2023 The blob • AP African American history • WH Correspondents Dinner

April 27, 2023 School districts sue social media • “Don’t say gay” • SpaceX rocket

THE LEDE  |  by Alex Steil

Native American photography quest

Highlights the power of profile writing

CNN ran a feature piece on a Native American photographer, Matika Wilbur, and her journey to capture photos of all 562 federally recognized tribes. Wilbur traveled across the United States in an attempt to capture and change “the way we see Native Americans.”

What you can do —

This piece, in particular, highlights the importance of writing profiles. What stories do you have from teachers or students in your schools? How are you prepping your students to find these stories and bring about conversations that solicit storytelling? When you do find a profile, how are you encouraging your staff to report this story?

Also remember that profiles don’t have to be something that is new or fascinating: a profile detailing the life of a person who is “normal” still offers some insight into who they are. 

As we near the end of the year, retirement stories for staff and graduating senior profiles are a topical time to really engage with the stories that occur in your school, rather than simply the news.

Noteworthy

Student expression of political clothing

Ample opportunity to cover student voices on your campus

The Hill also wrote a piece on the state of student political engagement and how they decide to wear clothes that display their political beliefs. Students are especially using their clothing instead of their vote to express their opinions.

What you can do —

An article on a year-end recap on a tumultuous year would be especially useful. An election and other political whims would be good for your students because of how you can engage with the ideas of student speech, especially if there were incidents of political division that made its way around the school.

It also could be a great story as you plan the beginning of the next school year. What are the current dress code standards?

What’s viral

Movie-filled summer ahead

School break does not mean entertainment break

We’re approaching the end of our publishing cycle, but the shows never stop. Summer festivals are still coming and movies are still going to be released.

What you can do —

As we wrap up the Scroll and you are finishing your own publishing, what shows and movies can students enjoy in their time away from school? What events are coming out this summer that students would enjoy? This could include not only movies, but also could touch on any other aspect of going out that students could enjoy. Are there new restaurants?

An article discussing what your students could enjoy away from school would be a good way to relate to readers, beyond reviews.

IT’S AN HONOR

It’s time to order!

Don’t delay any longer

We’ve now hit the busiest season of the year, but don’t let that deter you. We have started processing and filling the May orders that have either a purchase order or payment. (Please remember, we need to have either payment or the purchase order in order to send your order.)

The quickest way to submit an order is via our online system. If paying with a purchase order, you can submit the PO number and then we will still ship. If you want to use the paper version, that is fine. We suggest scanning and emailing these documents. 

We are working to process and send all orders (that are paid for or accompany a purchase order or check) within a 48-hour period.

Incomplete membership rolls, payment

Don’t delay any longer.

For those who have submitted the online form, we may be reaching out to you concerning sharing the list of new inductees. While the vast majority have shared the spreadsheet, we have a few who we don’t either don’t have or we need sharing access updated. 

We answer a lot of questions concerning student membership (both current and those from 1952)  and it’s important we have as complete of a list as possible. Please make sure to share these to [email protected].

YEC open for entries

Looking for something to do after the yearbook deadline and before distribution? Enter the YEC!

The 2023 Yearbook Excellence Contest is open for entries. The cost for each entry in all 33 categories is $7, and schools will be divided by size — Class A for 1,000 or more students, and Class B for 999 or fewer students,

Entry deadline is Oct. 2, and here is a link to complete descriptions of those 33 categories and how to pay for the entries.

Judges will award first, second and third places in each category for each class, and they’ll award honorable mentions so that between 10 and 15 percent of all entries are recognized in every category. All students named as award recipients will be eligible to apply for Quill and Scroll student scholarships in May of their senior year.

Quill and Scroll administrators will then tally points (5 for first place, 4 for second, 3 for third and 1 for HM) to determine a Blue and Gold Award winner for each class. Last year’s winners were Wando High School in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (Class A) and Christ Presbyterian Academy of Nashville, Tennessee (Class B).

Here’s a complete list of last year’s winners.

Critique forms available

News Media Evaluation is the best way to get objective feedback about your news operation

The Quill and Scroll News Media Evaluation provides news media staffs a one-of-a-kind assessment of your publication(s) with constructive comments and suggestions for improvement from qualified evaluators. Judges will provide a thorough analysis and rating to schools, and the evaluation exercise and feedback are instructive and developmental.

High schools and junior high/middle schools may enter their multimedia news operations, newspapers, news magazines and/or online news sites until June 15, 2023. Entries and ratings are returned in early September 2023. This service is open to non-member schools as well as member schools.

Here’s the web page with all the information about entering your publication.

Workshop set for June 26-29, in Dallas

The Gloria Shields NSPA Media Workshop returns to the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria June 26-29, 2023, with bonus classes on June 25. Workshop registration is $140 per student or adviser.  The extra cost for the Sunday bonus class is $20 per person.

In 2022, 635 students from 90 schools took advantage of the instruction from our exceptional faculty. Watch the workshop website for additional 2023 workshop details as they become available.

> Watch the preview video for 2023.

Just a thought

Congratulations on the (almost) completion of the school year — whether it’s your first or your final year of advising. I hope you have a beautiful summer and many peaceful, restful days. 

Thank you for your patience and kindness during my first year at Quill and Scroll. It’s been a wonderful learning experience that I am excited to continue. As always, feel free to send me feedback as well. Last summer we developed the online ordering systems and we have big plans for this summer as well. 

I’m looking forward to sharing what we develop during this summer in our first Scroll for the 2023-2024 school year, which will publish after Labor Day. 

Take care,

— Lori Keekley