Six schools cited for upholding First Amendment

Six high schools will receive the 2014 First Amendment Press Freedom Award in recognition of their support, education and protection of the First Amendment rights and responsibilities of students and teachers, with an emphasis on student-run media for which students make final content decisions.

A committee representing Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School Journalists, the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association presents the award annually following an extensive application process. Student editors, media teachers and administrators complete a questionnaire regarding the school’s First Amendment practices, and provide copies of student media policies, for review by the committee.

2014 First Amendment Press Freedom Award winners are:

• Convent of the Sacred Heart High School, San Francisco
  • Francis Howell North High School, St. Charles, Mo.
  • Kirkwood High School, Kirkwood, Mo.
  • Mountlake Terrace High School, Mountlake Terrace, Wash.
  • North Central High School, Indianapolis
  • Townsend Harris High School, Flushing, N.Y.

Two of the schools are first-time recipients: North Central High School and Convent of the Sacred Heart High School, which is not only a first-time awardee, but the second private school to ever be recognized.

The schools will be honored April 10 at the opening ceremony of the JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention in San Diego.

Applications for the 2015 First Amendment Press Freedom Award are due by Dec. 1. For more information on the award program, visit the JEA website.