Oct. 21, 2024

Our past three editions

Oct. 7, 2024 Local elections • Food waste • Fat Bear Week

Sept. 30, 2024 Tropical storm Helene • Plastic bags • Gun safety

Sept. 23, 2024 Instagram changes • Vaccines • Ultraprocessed foods

THE LEAD

Girl Scout council votes to more than double membership fees by 2027

Evaluate membership dues across a variety of activities

The Girl Scouts of the USA haven’t raised their membership dues in eight years, but that streak is coming to an end. The Girl Scout Council voted this weekend on a proposed hike in dues. The original proposition raised fees from $25 to $85 per person, but the Council approved an increase to $65. 

The increase will be phased in over three years. According to Girl Scout USA a portion of the fee would be shared with councils to assist with financial aid. 

This steep of a cost increase may be a barrier for many Girl Scouts and their families, CNN reported

What you can do —

There are likely current or former Girl Scouts in your school and it could be interesting to talk to them about what they think about the price increase. There also may be a local troop in your community that will be affected by the decision. 

Another way to use this news in a local way is to use it as a news hook for a story about membership fees in general. What do sports participation costs look like? Are they the same across sports or do they vary? Have rates changed in recent years?

It could also be interesting to look at other clubs and activities in your district — do they have dues? How do they compare to other schools? Is there financial aid available?

Noteworthy

IV fluid shortage continues post Hurricane Helene

Look into local health care systems adaptations to lack of supplies

When Hurricane Helene decimated North Carolina in September, it also hit Baxter International’s North Cove production site, the largest IV fluid manufacturer in the United States. Before the storm, the plant was responsible for about 60% of the nation’s IV supplies, CBS News reported.

Though operations have started to scale back up, there are still significant restrictions on the amount of IV fluid and dialysis solution that can be ordered, CNN reported. Hospitals have started rationing supplies and, in some places, postponing surgeries while the shortage persists.

The Biden administration invoked the wartime powers of the Defense Production Act to speed up the rebuilding of the factory wrecked by Hurricane Helene. The act was used to move Baxter to the front of the line for a contractor’s services. 

What you can do —

Even if you live far away from the path of Hurricane Helene, your health system may be feeling the effects of the shortage. Check to see if your local hospitals have released any comment on rationing supplies or delaying surgeries. At least 15 hospital systems have delayed elective procedures, according to Becker’s Hospital Review. Check to see if your local system is among them.

Another way to look at this story is to look at the bigger picture: the country’s medical supply chain. If one storm can take out the plant that produces the majority of IV fluids for the country, what else is at risk? IV fluid shortages aren’t uncommon, in large part because IV fluids don’t bring in much profit for manufacturers, NBC News reported. Talk to experts about other vulnerability points and what potential implications they might have.

There also could be an interesting angle looking at blood supply shortages. Natural disasters can contribute to blood shortages, according to the American Red Cross, and some local Red Cross organizations are running special donation events in response.

What’s viral

Former One Direction member Liam Payne dies

Gather fan reactions, favorite band memories

Following Liam Payne’s death Oct. 16, One Direction fans took to social media to express their shock and sadness. He died after falling from the balcony of a hotel in Argentina.

Though the band hasn’t been together since 2016, fan accounts and online communities were buzzing with chatter quickly. The other members of One Direction released a widely shared statement on Instagram.

“We’re completely devastated by the news of Liam’s passing,” the post reads. “In time, and when everyone is able to, there will be more to say. But for now, we will take some time to grieve and process the loss of our brother, who we loved dearly.”

What you can do —

Even though the band hasn’t been together for close to a decade, there are still plenty of diehard fans, including many people in high school. In the wake of Payne’s death, talking to students about what the band means to them, their favorite memories of One Direction and their takeaways from fan reactions.

There is a lot still unknown about the circumstances surrounding Payne’s death, but students may feel the loss acutely. Coverage can also talk about how to get help if needed. 

IT’S AN HONOR

NEW FEATURE: Quill and Scroll launches members-only area

If you haven’t accessed our members-only area, we encourage you to do so. While we hope to expand this feature, you can find bell ringers, lesson plans and a gallery of our News Media Evaluation Gallup Award winners.

To access, please visit our new member login page. Your credentials are in an email from  [email protected]. Please check your spam folder and if you still don’t see it, reach out to us at [email protected] and we will help you troubleshoot!

When you log in, please accept cookies via the popup on the bottom of the page. This will limit the number of times you have to login!

Proposed October chapter activity

Take some time to enjoy each other, build the team

Dance party, hot chocolate or board game time: Since student media can be intense, it’s important to plan some downtime. Ask the students what they want to do and enjoy each other. Do they want to bring in board games? A Just Dance party? Sit around and enjoy a hot chocolate together and make a marshmallow structure or create art with found items? Take some time for all of you — including yourself.

During a recent call about our Yearbook Excellence Contest, an adviser told us how his chapter has grown because of adding some activities. See our site for a full list of chapter activities

It’s always membership season

Don’t forget you can nominate members year round

If you’ve thought about having a more active Quill and Scroll chapter, we suggest initiating members in the fall. (And don’t worry, if you’re worried that having chapter activities will just add another to do time to the list, we have several suggested chapter activities in “lesson plan” format so students can lead these!) While you’re ordering, don’t forget to include any cords and other Quill and Scroll materials and memorabilia.

We haven’t changed the ordering process from last year. For those wanting to ditch the paper version, you just need to select the form based on how you would like to pay. We have one version for  credit card and another version for check or purchase order. (We’ve added buttons for ease of finding these.) As usual, credit card payments are charged $4.49 per order for processing. 

> Start the process here.

Writing, Visual, Multimedia contest open

Due date is Feb. 5 

The entry form is live and we are accepting submissions. Be aware, we have added a few categories and changed a few items and descriptions. The cost is $8 for all entry types and you may submit live links. If you would rather make a PDF of the submission, you may still do this as well. Please make sure to allow anyone with the link to view. Remember, we don’t accept a Google document as an entry. We only accept published work. 

Please make a note — all entries and payments will be due Feb. 5.

Make sure to include either your credit card payments or check or purchase order when you enter. The link provided on the site will take you directly to the credit card or check/purchase order page for the order. The WVM category payment option is at the bottom of the page.

Please reach out if you have any questions.

National High School Journalism Convention travels to Philadelphia

In just a few weeks Quill and Scroll will be in Philadelphia for the Fall National High School Journalism Convention. Please come say hi!

No Weekly Scroll

We will pause the Weekly Scroll during the weeks of Nov. 4 and Nov. 11 when we travel to our college and high school conventions, respectively. 

Thank you for understanding.

Just a thought

Congratulations to our new Student Advisory Board members and their advisers.

This group’s passion for journalism and service shows through their applications and participation. These 20 members, 17 new and three returning, will work on practical student-choice journalism projects to help members with their service projects and to highlight great journalism. We will make these active on our site as they are available. We look forward to working with these talented students. 

• Risa Cidoni, Parkway West High School, Adviser: Lindsey Katz
  • Glory Dansou, Bishop Kenny High School, Adviser: Jessica Durbin
  • Emilie Driscoll, Lakeridge High School, Lake Eswego, Oregon (returning), Adviser: Erin Schloetter
  • Brooklyn Fuqua, Jack C. Hays High School, Adviser: Laura Fleming-Holcomb
  • Jaden Gardiola, The American School in London, Adviser: Louisa Avery
  • Lainey Green, Christ Presbyterian Academy, Nashville, Tennessee (returning), Adviser: Heather Nagel
  • Kaila Hu, Lake Braddock Secondary School, Adviser: Theresa Poquis
  • Annie Jiang, Arcadia High School, Adviser: Lesley Lee
  • Kaytlynn Jones, Greenwood Community High School, Adviser: Denise Green
  • Reilly Little, Larry A. Ryle High School, Adviser:  Cher Caldwell
  • Piper Magargee, Christ Presbyterian Academy, Adviser: Heather Nagel
  • Lavanya Mani, Clayton High School, Adviser: Debra Klevens
  • Kayla Markowitz, Jonathan Law High School, Adviser: Christopher Kulenych
  • Kyleigh Morris, Harrisonburg High School, Adviser: Val Kibler
  • Sophie Nguyen, Granite Bay High School, Adviser: Julie Francesconi
  • Samir Shaik, Parkway West High School, Adviser: Lindsey Katz
  • Hannahlaura Schuchhardt, Niceville Senior High School, Niceville, Florida (returning), Adviser Kelly Humphrey
  • Lizzie Sun, Chantilly High School, Adviser: Kristine Brown
  • Kristen Wharton, Ursuline Academy of Dallas, Adviser: Melinda Smith

— Lori Keekley