News Media Evaluation and Gallup Award
The News Media Evaluation provides media staffs a one-of-a-kind assessment of your publication(s) with constructive comments and suggestions for improvement from qualified evaluators. Judges will provide a thorough analysis and rating to schools, and the evaluation exercise and feedback are instructive and developmental.
High schools and junior high/middle schools may enter their multimedia news operations, newspapers, news magazines and/or online news sites until June 15, 2021. Entries and ratings are returned in early September 2021. This service is open to non-member schools as well as member schools.
Note: Instead of sending in printed versions of your publication, you may send in PDFs of the publication. The instructions were updated February 19, 2021. The registration form has been simplified from past years, making it easier for you to enter.
You may download the full 2021 instructions (PDF) and the 2021 Registration Form (DOCX) by clicking the yellow buttons on the right. You may also review the 2021 judging form (PDF) by downloading it.
Awards in order of prestige:
- George H. Gallup Award
- This means that a publication has received a “Superior” rating overall in each of the four or five areas for evaluation. (Four areas for newspapers and news magazines. Five areas for online media and for comprehensive evaluations.)
- International First Place Award
- This means that a publication has received at least one “Superior” and at least one “Excellent” rating in the four or five areas for evaluation, with the other areas rated “Good.”
- International Second Place Award
- This means that a publication has received “Good” or better in the four or five areas for evaluation, but does not qualify for the higher awards.
- International Honor Award
- This means the publication has received at least one “Needs Improvement” rating in the four or five areas for evaluation.