With the status of so many summer workshops in question, please know that when you apply for the $500 Benz Scholarship, you may include such activities as attending a professional journalism conference in fall 2020 or winter 2020-21, or the National High School Journalism Conference in Orlando in November 2020.
Who is Eligible?
Quill and Scroll encourages applicants who:
- teach at a Quill and Scroll charter school (check here to see if you are and, if you’re not, how to get a charter),
- have at least one year teaching high school journalism and/or advising publications,
- have a minimum of one year experience teaching journalism or advising school publications,
- plan to return to the high school classroom and media advising next year AND
- will apply the information gained in the course work, seminar or workshop taken as a result of this scholarship.
The scholarship program’s objective is to identify and reward experienced journalism teachers and publication advisers (as defined above) who seek the opportunity to upgrade their journalism skills, teaching methodologies and advising techniques.
Complete the application form below this section, including the requirement that you submit two letters of recommendation from people who will attest to your journalism teaching skill, publication advising, quality of the journalistic writing course(s) you teach and the quality of the publication(s) you advise. The letters of recommendation should come from any of the following sources:
- Vice or Assistant Principal
- Department Chair
- Regional or State Scholastic Press Association Director
- Scholastic Journalism Workshop Director
- A faculty member of the school, college or department of journalism for whom you will take a journalism course
- JEA mentor, current or former
It is the intent to select a journalism teacher/publication adviser who plans to take course work that is definitely beyond the introductory level. Descriptions of courses or workshops should be submitted with the application to help inform the scholarship committee about the plan of study.
The application deadline is April 30.