Membership is open to media staff members in a chartered high school.
There are no annual dues. When a candidate is recommended for membership, he or she pays a one-time initiation fee. The Society then provides the initiate with an official membership pin, membership certificate, and a one-year subscription to Quill & Scroll magazine.
Members of Quill and Scroll Honor Society must be chosen from students enrolled in the high school who, at the time of their recommendation, meet the following requirements:
1. They must be of sophomore, junior or senior classification.
2. They must have the equivalent of a B grade average, or be in the upper third of their class in general scholastic standing, either for the year of their election or for the cumulative total of all high school work.
3. They must have done superior work in some phase of journalism or school media work. They may be staffers of a magazine, newspaper, yearbook, news organization, online site or radio/television station at the school, or one conducted by an external organization.
4. They must be recommended by the supervisor or by the committee governing the media.
5. They must be approved by the Quill and Scroll Executive Director.
Membership is open to all media staff members in a chartered or member high school.
Don’t forget to submit your application to us separately.
Download PDF of Induction Ceremony scripts: Candle Lighting Induction, Non-Candle Induction.
Outstanding Quill and Scroll members may join the Q&S Student Advisory Board.
The purpose of the Quill and Scroll Advisory Board is twofold:
- To plan and execute a nation-wide activity every year in the fall semester.
- To provide counsel to the Quill and Scroll Executive Director and staff about the organization’s membership benefits, contests and other activities.
The activity should:
- Promote and embody at least one of the eight lights in the Quill and Scroll induction ceremony: Truth, Leadership, Loyalty, Initiative, Integrity, Judgment, Friendship and Learning.
- Bring together Quill and Scroll chapter members from across a school and across the world to work on a unified project.
- Reach out to the school and/or community from which a chapter draws its students.
- Have a broader impact in promoting the ideals of scholastic journalism, as they relate to the eight lights.
If you are interested in joining the Quill and Scroll SAB for 2018 (a term runs for a calendar year), please send a short email with a resume attached to Q&S Executive Director Jeff Browne at [email protected]. You may also call 319-335-3321 for more information.
The Quill and Scroll SAB will meet in person every April at the JEA/NSPA Convention. This year, it will be in San Francisco. Time and place are yet to be determined. Quill and Scroll may be able to help pay for SAB members’ registration costs if they can prove hardship.