International Writing and Photo Contest, and Blogging Competition
Enter the 2015 Quill and Scroll International Writing and Photo Contest, and Blogging Competition. Postmark deadline February 5, 2014.
Middle/Junior High School Writing and Photo Contest launched. Click here to learn about the Middle /Junior High School Writing and Photo Contest!
Currently enrolled high school students, including Quill and Scroll members and non-members, are invited to enter the 2015 International Writing and Photo Contest and Blogging Competition, sponsored by the American Society of News Editors Youth Journalism Initiative. Award divisions include writing (features, opinion, sports) and photography published in newspapers, news magazines and online, blogging and other skill sets employed in contemporary scholastic journalism. Sweepstakes winners receive a plaque. All individual winners receive a Quill and Scroll National Award Gold Key and, as seniors, they are eligible to apply for one of the scholarships offered by Quill and Scroll. Work appearing online or in print is acceptable. Quill and Scroll Resources page now features information on scholastic blogging.
ENTRY FORM for High School Student International Writing, Photo, Blog contests.
Save money by entering the Writing and Photo Contest and News Media Evaluation as a package. Read on for more information.
Rules and Regulations
- Deadline – Writing and Photo Contest entries must be mailed FIRST CLASS and postmarked no later than the extended deadline of Feb. 5, 2015.
- Entry fee – There is a $2 fee per entry. Entries not accompanied by the school registration form and entry fee will be disqualified. Register for the Quill and Scroll News Media Evaluation (NME) when entering the Writing and Photo Contest and save $25 if you get the full evaluation; or $20 if you select the ratings-only option. You don’t have to submit the NME evaluation form and publications now; you can prepare and send them between April 1 and June 15. Here’s information on the NME. Pay now and submit later, because this offer ends with the Feb. 5, 2015, Writing and Photo Contest postmark deadline. As part of the package, we’ll also send a CD with the 2014 News Media Evaluation Gallup Award winners in a PowerPoint presentation.
- Writing and photo entries must have been published in a high school or professional newspaper or website between Feb. 1, 2014, and Feb. 1, 2015, and must be the work of a currently enrolled high school student. Each entry must be the work of one student only, except in the In Depth Reporting/Team Division. Blog entries may be published independently by high school students, but must maintain journalistic standards.
- Each school is limited to four entries per division. One student may submit any or all of the school’s allotted entries.
- Submit the complete page or quality prints/copies, on which the entry appears. If two entries are on the same page, submit a complete tear sheet or quality prints/copies for each entry. Print copies of Web and blog entries with URLs noted for submission. Note: PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SUBMIT A PHOTO PRINT WITH THE REQUIRED TEAR SHEET OR PRINTS/COPIES.
- Staple the official student entry form (or copy) to each entry. Entries improperly identified will be disqualified without notification.
- All winning entries are automatically eligible for the 2015 International Writing and Photo or blogging sweepstakes awards. All entries become the property of Quill and Scroll Society and will not be returned. We reserve the right to use entries in Quill & Scroll magazine or online. Only winners will be notified. A list of winners will be published online. Winning bloggers also are published online.
- Send payment (check, purchase order or PO number) with your entries, to: Writing, Photo, Blog Contest, Quill and Scroll, E346 Adler Journalism Bldg., Iowa City, IA 52242. You can also pay using a secure credit card service, Link2Gov, where you can make Quill and Scroll membership purchases. Please note that the payment is for Writing, Photo, Blog Contest entries.