The Weekly Scroll for Friday, Oct. 20

News, tips and advice from the Quill and Scroll International Honor Society.
Compiled and written by Marni Wax.

The Lede:

The power of silent protest…the loudest statement one can make.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick has filed a grievance under the latest collective bargaining agreement against NFL owners for collusion. Kaepernick is not going through the NFL Players Association but has instead hired a private attorney who has represented several high-profile clients. Can Kaepernick prove his point of freedom of expression and not lose the argument to those who insist he’s disrespecting either the flag or the military (or both). “If the NFL…is to remain a meritocracy, than principled and peaceful protest… should not be punished and athletes should not be denied employment…” Geragos (his private attorney) said in a statement. Continue to report on your community, your school and your students in regards to their opinion on this matter and how freedom of expression is either supported or suppressed.

Sexual harasser gets slammed.

Harvey Weinstein — the movie producer extraordinaire — has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in response to overwhelmingly nasty allegations of sexual harassment and assault by him. One mistake (or MANY as it appears in his case), can change your entire life in an instant. Moral of the story: don’t be Harvey…what a downfall it’s been. What’s in this for a news organization? How many of your students joined the #metoo social media campaign? What are their stories? However, before you print anything, beware of the obligations you have to print verifiable truth. Here’s a rundown of best practices for journalists covering allegations of sexual harassment and assault. 

It’s an honor:

News Media Evaluation 2017 Awards.

Judges named 12 school publications from EIGHT states as George H. Gallup Award recipients in the 2017 Quill and Scroll International Honor Society News Media Evaluation Service.

What’s it like to be a part of something bigger than yourself?

Go to our Facebook page to learn how to share your testimony about what it means to be a member of Quill and Scroll. Or you can go to the Quill and Scroll website to give a more detailed story about your connection to Q&S.

Attention:

The PDF of the fall 2017 issue of Q&S magazine up on issu and was sent to members via mail in mid-October

CALLING ALL ADVISERS!

Does anyone have any footage of their induction ceremonies! We would love to feature your students in a video! Contact us at [email protected] for more information.

What’s Viral:

Is it a read, or just a routine?

How many is too many? In this day in age we are obsessed with our applications and knowing the knows on our phone. But…what happens if people really don’t care about clicking on the alerts, and only care about getting them? Upcoming research from the Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia and the Guardian U.S. Mobile Innovation Lab takes a look.

Empowered women, empower women.

The inconsistency in the number of female leaders at the executive level in newsrooms is an intense and growing issue. But statistics show just over 35 percent of newsroom supervisors are women. However…in high school newsrooms there is a majority of girls reporting, and editors are males. Why the disconnect? Where have we gone wrong?

And how are they empowered?

Speak up, girls! The best way to prevent an issue, is to learn how to deal with it and stay active. Active Voice will have three main components: fellowships, research and convening.

Being transparent is the clearest way to go.

Colorado State University’s student government may have violated state transparency laws by trying to kick student reporters out of the president’s impeachment hearing, adding to the lack of transparency shown by the school. But on the flip side…the editor-in-chief of The Rocky Mountain Collegian, encouraged the Associated Students of Colorado State University in Fort Collins not to kick out the media! GO RAMMIES!

Just a Thought:

Lights, camera, action…(maybe!)

I frequently think about how I got to where I am today and what areas of journalism or communications I would tell someone starting college to do when pursuing journalism as a profession. Click that link and see what experts say to help other young, aspiring journalists find their niche career path.

“The science of craft”

These technologies all have staying and GROWING power (or influence on society). They will affect everything from the economy and our politics, to medicine, or influence even our everyday culture. Even though some are unfolding now and others will take what seems like an eternity to develop…you should know about all of them right now and stay updated…after all, that is what this industry is all about!

Technology…where to begin?

Yep, it’s astounding to think that something as simple as a phone or camera has the power to retrieve almost any information and communicate with anyone you might have the interest to. However…even with the vastly changing industry, there are seven major tech trends we’re in store for in 2017. Click to see what those are!

0 replies