Quill and Scroll Executive Director Appointed

,

thumbnail_Jeff_Browne.2017Jeff Browne has been appointed executive director of Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School Journalists beginning July 5.

Currently the director of CU News Corps at the University of Colorado Boulder, Browne will succeed Vanessa Shelton as Quill and Scroll director. She is retiring after nearly 10 years in the position.

As executive director, Browne will direct the honor society and also will serve as editor of Quill & Scroll magazine and other organization media, and will direct Quill and Scroll Foundation.

Browne has extensive experience in scholastic journalism education, including as the executive director of the Kansas Scholastic Press Association from 2009-2013 and of the Colorado Scholastic Press Association from 2003-2004. In addition to directing the CU News Corps student media project at the University of Colorado, Browne is a journalism instructor teaching two to three courses per semester.

Under his direction, the News Corps students produced an award-winning documentary “Taking the Lede: Colorado Edition,” which won a Best of Competition Award in 2016 at the BEA Festival of Media Arts. The documentary aired on Rocky Mountain PBS in June 2016. He served as producer of the film about First Amendment rights for Colorado high school student journalists.

From 1999-2009, Browne advised student media at Colorado State University and taught high school journalism, English and history from 1990-1999. He also has worked as a journalist in Florida.

He holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, and a master’s degree in education from the University of Florida.

Active in national journalism organizations and conferences including JEA and NSPA, Browne is completing a two-year term through October as head of the Scholastic Journalism Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC). He has taught at summer journalism workshops and was director of the Kansas Journalism Institute summer workshop from 2009-2013.

For more than a year, he has volunteered with Intercambio de Communidades teaching English to Spanish-speaking immigrants in Boulder County, Colorado.